Monday 7 July 2014

Curly hair - don't care

How many of you curly haired girls out there struggle finding the right styling products that keep your locks in check all day without getting to 3pm and looking either like you have been dragged through a hedge backwards or electrocuted??? Yep...thought so.

Depending on what kind of curl your hair has it can be crucial that you have the right styling products. There are sooo many options though, all these lotions and potions that are supposedly specifically created for curls? Are they any different? Well I have found...not necessarily! I have finally found a select few products that are really helping minimise the time of my morning routine and the bonus...they don't break your bank account!


In regards to shampoo I like to switch it up and don't stick with the same thing for too long, as long as it is really nourishing and leaves my hair feeling healthy I am happy. I currently use a shampoo and conditioner by TIGI. The SFactor range called Diamond Dreams. I know right, what a name. There is a reason behind it though. It contains diamonds. Yes you read that right. Basically TIGI teamed up with a diamond factory and they use all the shavings when diamonds are made. It also supposedly contains, cashmere champagne and pearls. Pretty luxurious eh? But again not a 'burn a hole in your purse' product. I bought these online at Look Fantastic each bottle is 750ml which lasts forever and only costs a mere £24.50. I have had these for months and still have loads left. It gives your hair the most gorgeous shine and they smell incredible.


Onto styling. I generally wrap my hair in a towel for 10 minutes or so to rid it of the majority of the moisture and I use another Tigi product, Queen for a day thickening spray. I love volume. Especially with curls/waves. The bigger the better! This spray is great and actually gives a good hold. I turn my head upside-down and cover both the lengths and roots.

I then move on to Percy and Reed, Wonder Balm. If you get this on the Percy and Reed website it is £18 for 75ml but you can get it cheaper from other online retailers. I actually got this free in an ELLE magazine and still have it, it seems to go a long way considering I use it everyday. I couldn't imagine my hair without it! It is a weightless leave in balm that preps your hair for other styling products (think hair primer) but I find in curly hair it gives great definition applied to both towel dried and dry hair. I even keep it in my handbag so if half way through the day it's all going a bit limp ad lifeless I apply some of this and voila!


Third step, mousse. Now I am not a fan of mousse. I don't like the effect it leaves but I honestly couldn't cope without it and have found a way to make it work without it looking like I have product in my hair. I use TRESemme. I am not usually a fan of their products, the shampoos really dry out my hair and scalp, that said, I love this mousse. It's part of their Natural's range, the weightless volumising mousse and is humidity resistant (extra brownie points!) Again I turn my head upside-down and scrunch into the lengths of my hair.


I do not use any heat on my hair. I let it dry naturally to minimise as much frizz as possible. Once dry I add some hairspray and a shine spray. Any will do, I currently use TIGI Catwalk - Session Series, Work It Hairspray which retails at about £11 on Look Fantastic but again you can get it cheaper. The shine spray, VO5 - Smoothly does it which you can pick up in boots for about £2. If you have that product look in the ends of you hair all you need to do is rub the ends between both hands and it's gone.


I hope that this may have been useful for fellow curly lovely ladies even if you only find one of the products works for you. Have you got any alternatives or suggestions you can give me? Let me know. Remember - EMBRACE THE CURL.

FYI - This is 10pm so no touch up's since 8am


Happy Styling :)

No comments :

Post a Comment